Work Permit

General rule, no one is authorized to work in Canada, either temporary or permanently, unless is legally permitted to work or fails under one of the exempted categories. Having a work permit shall not be treated as a visa or a pass to the Canadian borders. Therefore, the work permit holder must obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization to fly to Canada. If the work permit holder is from a visa-exempt country such as Australia and received a work permit before August 1, 2015, the work-permit holder will need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization if will leave Canada and return by air. The work permit issued on or after August 1, 2015, the Electronic Travel Authorization will be issued automatically with the work permit. However, the renewal of the work permit is not automatically renewed or issued, the work permit holder must apply for one separately.